Thursday, May 13, 2010

Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes = Yum!


I enjoy cooking and baking as a creative outlet. Luckily, I've been able to channel that urge towards Bible Study and weekend get-a-ways with friends so that Dave and I don't get too fat eating all the fun foods I want to make.

Here in Fresno, it is starting to warm up, so a summer dessert sounded enticing.  A wonderful mentor of mine, Betty Crocker, emailed this recipe to me. I tweaked it a bit and viola, a lovely summer dessert that is so easy, but looks like you spent time on it =)

The recipe is below with the pictures of my creations.  I chose to make cupcakes instead of a cake (easier in a Bible Study setting to go without plates). The frosting is simply whip cream with grated lime peel.  I wanted a more margarita taste, so I added lime juice to my frosting (about 2 tablespoons).  It was TASTY!! Enjoy!

Recipe:


Strawberry Margarita Cake

Nonalcoholic strawberry margarita
mix makes this party cake a great
addition to picnics and potlucks.

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 1 hour 43 min
Makes: 12 servings

3/4 cup bottled strawberry-flavored nonalcoholic margarita drink mix
1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
Vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box
1 tablespoon grated lime peel
1 container (8 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
Strawberries, if desired


1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease (or lightly spray with cooking
spray) bottom only of 13x9-inch pan. Add enough water to drink mix to measure 1 1/4 cups.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, drink mix, oil and egg whites on low speed 2 minutes. Pour into
pan. Bake and cool and directed on box.
3. Gently stir lime peel into whipped topping; spread over top of cake. Garnish with strawberries.
Store covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Add enough water to drink mix to measure 1 1/2 cups. Follow High
Altitude cake mix directions for 13x9-inch pan.



No comments: